Shrimp and Crab cake
It’s been a while since my last post, it’s not from laziness though! I’ve spent the past few weeks enjoying the beach in South-East Asia! It was a welcome relief from the rainy summer we’ve been having in Montreal. After a short time catching up on things at work I’m able to get back to one of my favorite hobbies. As it has been awhile since the last post, I spent all week thinking of something special to cook. Finally, I was inspired to make crab cakes. It’s fairly simple, easy to make at home, but it still looks and tastes gourmet. Better yet, it happens to be one of my boyfriend’s favorite foods! (Or maybe he just says that about everything I make)
Of course the best thing to do when making crab cakes is to use fresh crabmeat. After several failed attempts, I was strangely unable to find any locally. (!?) I’m sure there is some, and I will look again soon, but for this attempt I wasn’t able to find it. As happens, some of the best things come from mistakes or limitations. After all, as they say, “Scarcity is the mother of creativity”. So, needing to improvise I found canned crabmeat and frozen shrimp. It turns out the shrimp added an excellent texture, creating a delicious alternative to the traditional crab cake. I will definitely be trying these again.
– 1 egg
– 1/2 lemon juice with a bit zest
– 1 Tbsp of mayo or vegetable oil
– 1/2 tsp of dijon mustard
– 1/2 tsp of honey
– 1 tsp of chili powder
– 2 cans of crab meat without the water (or 250g of crab meat)
– 250g of raw shrimps (peeled, deveined and chopped)
– 2 green onions
– Salt, pepper
– 7-8 Tbsp of Panko
– 5 Tbsp of mayo
– 1/2 tsp of lemon juice
– 1/2 tsp of chili powder
– 1/4 tsp of cayenne pepper
– 1 cup of Panko
– 2 Tbsp of vegetable oil
1) Mix everything together. Shape into 6 patties and coat each of them on both sides with panko.
2) Heat oil in a large nonstick pan over medium heat.
3) Add the patties (3-4 at a time) and cook until golden on both sides, about 3 minutes per side.
4) Serve it on arugula salad or any salad of your choice.