I don’t know if it’s the weather or just the taste of the summer that I miss. There’s something refreshing and light in the lemon I can’t get enough of. It’s been almost a week I’m craving for anything citrusy.
We always have so many lemons at home and I had some time to kill, so I decided to make some cookies. After mixing the first few ingredients, I found out we were out of flour and of course I couldn’t stop making my cookies now! Luckily for me, I found some almond flour and shredded coconut (another ingredient that I love). I wasn’t sure how it would taste but, to my surprise, they ended up pretty good. WOW!! And that's how I ended up with this fluffy and light, gluten free cookies. I personally ate 3 of them before anyone got home. I know, I know, I just couldn’t stop myself, they were too delicious. The taste of the fresh lemon juice and lemon zest is a delight.
For any lemon lover, gluten intolerant or not, these cookies are the best. Everyone in the house approved. 🙂
- 113g (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 110g (1/2 cup + 1 Tbsp) granulated sugar
- Juice from 1 freshly squeezed lemon (~5 Tbsp)
- Lemon zest (use the same one as above)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 200g (1 cup) almond flour
- 45g (just under a 1/2 cup will do but for those who wants to be specific it's 3/8 cup) unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Powdered sugar
- 65g (1/2 cup) powdered sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Lemon zest
- In a large bowl, mix the butter, sugar, and lemon zest until it's light and fluffy.
- Add in the lemon juice, vanilla extract, and egg until well combined.
- Stir in all dry ingredients until it's mixed well.
- Put the batter in the fridge for an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or similar oven safe material.
- Pour powdered sugar onto a large plate. Scoop a tablespoon of dough into a ball and roll it in the powdered sugar. Place on baking sheet, leaving some space between the cookies and repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake for 20-25 min until the bottoms just barely start to brown. Remove from oven and let them cool.
- In a bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar and the lemon juice until a smooth glaze is formed.
- Spread the lemon glaze on the cookies, and sprinkle with lemon zest. Then let them set before serving or storing.
- Gives 15 cookies.
- For those who want a bit more color in their cookies, you can add 6 drops of yellow food coloring