Literally, I go to bed every night excited for the morning to have breakfast. Seriously, I don’t even need an alarm clock. Weird right? Haha… I totally accept it. I’m a breakfast lover, especially sweet breakfasts.
There are two major ways I eat my oats for breakfast. During the chilly seasons, I tend to make myself a lot of oat porridge to warm up from the winter. When the temperature gets warmer, I eat granola, a lot of it.
This granola is THE thing I always have on hand. I eat it with smoothie bowls, top my yogurt with it, or even on my ice cream. Sometimes, I’ll just snack on it by itself.
When I used to work at an office, the night before work, I would prepare a mason jar filled with plain Greek yogurt, fresh fruits, a drizzle of honey or maple syrup and a small container of my homemade granola. First thing when I get in my office, I make an espresso and eat my yogurt parfait breakfast. It’s a great way to start any day off right.
So without saying more, here’s my recipe.
- 2 cups raw rolled oats
- ½ cup raw pecans
- ½ cup raw almonds, roughly chopped or sliced
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- ½ cup coconut flakes
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 4 Tbsp coconut oil (or butter for those who don’t like the strong flavor of coconut really any other oil of your choice works)
- Preheat the oven to 300 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- In a large bowl, combine all the dry ingredients (except the sugar)
- In another bowl, mix together the maple syrup, brown sugar, and coconut oil
- Stir all the ingredients together and mix well
- Spread the mixture evenly in a thin layer on the baking sheet and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until golden. Stir it every 10 minutes to ensure the granola is cooked evenly.
- Remove from the oven and let it completely cool down before storing it in a jar.
Note: Can be stored for up to a month in an airtight container.