Summer, summer time! I love summer. It’s colorful everywhere, all the terasses are open, people are smiling all the time, and any excuse is good to bring friends together. This weekend we had an especially good excuse to get together with friends to celebrate a graduation. Especially as summer comes to a close it gave us an opportunity to extend it as long as possible.
Since it’s strawberry season, it wasn’t hard to decide what to make for dessert. Those unbelievably sweet, tasty, and juicy red strawberries from Quebec. I’ve had so many this summer and still can have more. Like they say about the best ingredients, just give it a stage, and let it shine. That is what I tried to do today with a delicious coconut-strawberry tart. I love the fresh texture of the fruit in a dessert and this is one of the best options.
Everyone loved it, I tried to keep some for a late snack but it was impossible. 🙂 I guess I just have to do an other one later.
– 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
– 1/3 cup sugar
– 1 egg
– 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
– 1/4 tsp salt
1) In a bowl, mix the butter and sugar. Add the egg and beat until the mixture is smooth. Add the dry ingredients and mix until a sandy texture. Press the dough into a big tart pan of 25 cm and refrigerate it for 30 min.
2) Preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F) with the rack in the middle of the oven.
3) Using a fork, prick crust all over. Bake until golden, 25 to 30 minutes, pressing down gently once or twice with a spoon during baking if crust puffs up.
4) Once finished take out, and let cool completely in pan.
Vanilla-coconut pastry cream
– 1/4 liter of milk
– 1/4 liter of coconut milk
– 1/2 vanilla bean
– 2 eggs
– 125g sugar
– 40 g cornstarch
– 2 Tbsp flaked coconut
1) Heat the milk and the coconut milk with the scraped seeds of the vanilla bean and half of the sugar until just below a simmer.
2) In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, the rest of sugar, cornstarch and flaked coconut.
3) Gradually whisk the hot milk into egg mixture and then return it all to the pan. Whisk this constantly over low heat, and stir constantly with a wooden spoon until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Set aside to cool until ready to use.
– 500g strawberries, hulled and thinly sliced
– flaked coconut
5) Starting from outside edge, arrange strawberries in a circle, going clockwise. Once finishing a row, move inside one row.
6) Refrigerate pie at least 1 hour before cutting to allow filling to set.
Sprinkles with flaked coconut. (optional)