After an entire week of rain, we finally got a beautiful sunny day. Nothing’s better than a good breakfast outside to celebrate the weekend. I usually treat everyone with crepes or pancakes but today, I felt to do something a bit different… Some delicious fluffy scones, accompanied with homemade rhubarb jam and whipped cream made with Madagascar vanilla beans (personally I love vanilla beans in everything, but of course add whichever flavor you love!)
Without being too pretentious, I really do think they’re the best scones ever, of course I think that, because it’s homemade!
- 350g of flour
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 1 bag of baking powder
- 85g of butter (cut it in small cubes)
- 3 Tbsp of sugar
- 175ml milk
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1 vanilla bean (optional)
- Jam of your choice
- Whipped cream (250 ml cream (35% fat), 1 vanilla bean, 2-3 Tbsp of powdered sugar)
Preheat oven to 220 degrees C (around 425 degrees F)
- In a bowl, mix flour, salt, sugar and baking powder. Add the cubes of butter and mix everything with your fingers until you obtain a sandy texture.
- In a pan, heat the milk a bit with the vanilla bean. Let it cool and then add the egg.
- Stir the liquid into the flour mixture and gently mix everything.
- Place dough onto a lightly floured surface, and knead briefly. Make sure to not work the dough too much to maintain a fluffy texture.
- Hand press the dough until it is 1/2 inch thick. Cut into 10 triangles and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake 10 minutes in the preheated oven.